When considering the fabric I would use, it dawned on me that I had this night gown. I wore it once for about 5 minutes. My boyfriend commented that it made me look like an old granny. It’s been sitting in a drawer for ever since. With the ruffle, the trim and the lacy embellishments on bodice, I figured it would be perfect for the bonnet.
I basically followed the instructions for the Old-fashioned bonnet, except (of course I changed it). Here’s what I did different. In her photo you can tell that baby is not a newborn. So I re-sized it, and followed her instructions up to this step.
Step 4: Form the unstitched end of a tie into a Z (fold it in thirds) and pin it to the large rectangle about 1.25″ back from the decorative trim along the 16″ side. Repeat with the other tie on the other side.
What I did was to fold up the rectangle (measuring all across to be sure that the ruffle was even from top to bottom), and stitch only the sides.
Pinning the ties inside.
I turned it outside in and pressed it with an iron. Then pin the opening and the raw end of the ruffle and top stitch both sides and stitched the opening. Sew close to the edge.
Per her instructions fold up the bottom, creating a casing for the back ribbon, pin and stitch close to the edge.
I centered and sewed the pretty laced ribbon on the front seam across the ruffle. On the back seam I sewed the trim.
|I know, I was a purty baby!|
Now after it was finished I had no way to gauge whether it would fit a new born or not. So I researched the average size of a newborn baby's head, enlarged a doll head pattern, printed off my baby picture, to make it more realistic, (hehe), I laughed the whole time, come on, that's funny. And this is how it looked, when I was taking the pictures for this post, my boyfriend come around the corner and caught a look of the baby face, and jumped, he didn't expect it.....I'm still laughing.
I made this for baby Madison. A romper with a matching bonnet 3M. For the bonnet I partially used Simplicity A2104 pattern and of course I changed it. I got the romper pattern from you can make this.com it's called THE CHELSEA ROMPER SIZES 3M-5T. What's cool about this pattern, it's downloaded so you can print it as you use it; and with it going all the way up to a 5T, I can make it for my Ella Bear, too.
Thanks for stopping by!
Link Parties: Thursday- Make it, Wear it @ The Train to Crazy - Thursday Favorite Things @ My Turn (for us) Friday- Happy Hour Projects - Fun Party@Craftionary - Simply Creations @ Simple Home Life - Hodgepodge Friday @ It's a Hodgepodge Life - Flaunt it Friday @ Dotted Line Crafts Saturday- Project Party Weekend @ Bubbly Nature Creations - Sew and Tell @ Sew Country Chick - Saturday Showcase @ Bowabra Blog - Say Gday @ Natasha In OzAnything Goes @ Eye Heart - More the Merrier @ diy home sweet home - Creative Corner @ Cherished Handmade Treasures - Manic Monday @ Serendipity and Spice - Linking Up @ I Gotta Try That - The Cure for Common Monday @ Lines Across Ta-Da Tuesday @ Mommy by day Crafter by night - Talent Tuesday @ Vintage Wanna Bee - Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story - Time for a Party @ fine Craft Guild - Whimsy Wednesday @ The NY Melrose Family - Wildly Original @ I Gotta Create - Thursday Favorite Things @ Katherines Corner and @ New End Studio